My Afternoon Buzz today consists of a list of “24 Secrets a Radio DJ Will Never Tell You” from BuzzFeed published last month. Automatically when you see your job profession in a list like this, it’s easy to analyze the hell out of it. Here’s a pile of the “secrets” they came up with…
1. There’s a lot more to our job than just pressing play.
2. Things go wrong with live radio all the time.
3. And our radio software often drives us mad.
4. There are specific, extra-long songs called “toilet tracks” that we play if we need to shit.
5. Dead air is our worst nightmare.
6. We’ve all accidentally sworn on air at some point
7. Our mics get seriously gross.
8. We’re really sick of that old “face for radio” joke.
9. Keeping to time is a) important, and b) damn tricky.
10. We don’t always like (or control) our playlists.
11. So please stop giving us your damn EPs.
12. We won’t give you a “shout-out”, either.
13. Christmas music is the absolute worst.
14. Our on-air personas are often more outgoing and chatty than our “real” selves, which can confuse people.
15. We dream in annoying jingles.
16. We always have sore throats.
17. And there’s literally nothing worse than having a cough, cold, or even hiccups on air.
18. Celebrity interviews can be a total nightmare.
Click here to see the rest of the list.